Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Be Proactive Speak Up!

So today I go to my appointment for my SI injection after waiting for two weeks to get in. I go back to the holding area and a sweet nurse who is definitely having issues understanding English asked me to sign my consent forms. She left and I looked them over. I immediately saw they were for the wrong procedure. I almost had a panic attack then and there. The procedure was one that I had experienced a violent reaction to several years ago. I told the nurse this when she returned and she tried to tell me they were the "same procedure". I told her that she was mistaken. UGGGH. I then had her to get my chart to see what type of injection I had previously as this was supposed to be a second in a series. She did agree that I had a different type of injection but told me I was getting another "level" added to my SI. Needless to say that did not sound right to me. I told her I was not having an epidural. I would go home first. She told me to talk to the doctor. I waited and when they took me back to the procedure room I told the attendant the problems I had and the doctor talked to me about my issues. I had to explain the whole problem once again UGGGH and he agreed to do what I was supposed to have in the first place.

My moral of the story is check everything yourself!!!! Be proactive. Do NOT expect medical people to be on the ball and have everything correct. Do your homework and have the names of the procedures you are supposed to have done. Know what you are supposed to have done and the side effects of the procedures as well! This will serve you well!

I am doing well tonight. I was shaking like a leaf as I remember the week of being unable to get out of bed I was in so much pain from the last epidural I had. I definitely would not want to repeat that and would have been very upset if that had taken place!

No comments: