Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thursday's Child Has Far To Go!

So yesterday I went for my third Sacroiliac Joint Injection. I was not really sweating it due to the fact that the first two had gone pretty well. I was sore afterwards for three to four days but then I felt much better. Well, yesterday for whatever reason, the pain management doctor decided that I needed some extensive injecting done.

Normally they find the right spot, inject and get out. It takes less than 5 minutes from start to finish. Painful and some pressure, well yes. Unbearable, not hardly. Yesterday he kept prodding and prodding with his catheter. I kept feeling him moving and injecting, moving more and injecting some more.

Me being the poor paranoid soul that I am due to the fact that they had yet AGAIN put the wrong procedure on my consent form and we had to get that all straightened out before I could go back to the surgery area, started panicking, thinking is he doing the other procedure? This should not take that long!

So I piped up and said what is going on? Why is this taking so much longer than before? You are doing the SI injection right? He assured me that he was doing the correct procedure but he wanted to give me some extra coverage that he had not done before. He then proceeded to ask me some questions about my symptoms again. I told him yes that my leg did go numb, yes my leg pain was much worse than my back pain. He asked had I had an EMG done?

I said yes but it had been several years ago before my last surgery. He wanted to see the reports. He then tells me that he feels strongly that the hardware in my back is pressing on the sciatic nerve and the SI joint causing inflammation and irritation and the pain that I am experiencing.

OKIE, ummm DOKIE, ummm so where do we go from here? I talked to him about how long I can expect the SI injection to give me relief. He said maybe weeks maybe months, it is different with each person. He then tells me we may need to go in surgically and remove some of my hardware to stop the pressure especially if there is enough nerve involvement to warrant it.

Needless to say, that was NOT what I wanted to or was ready to hear! He then said we might try a spinal cord stimulator instead as I told him I was not keen on surgery atall. I might do the SCS but still not even sure about it. The last time I researched it, they were averaging about 50% positive results. Not great odds in my book for what you have to go through. They do a trial though so if it did not work, at least I would not have to go through the whole surgery.

I have just joined a yahoo group to hopefully talk to others who have had this done. I hope to be able to find out more about the specifics and what types of experiences other people have had with this.

I was totally miserable with my sciatica yesterday The pain in my hip and leg from the procedure was fierce! I really and truly am not a wimp! That was a very very bad experience! I do feel somewhat better today. I still get some horrible twinges down my leg when I get up and walk or after sitting for any length of time. I am limping pretty badly today. I look like Chester from Gunsmoke! I hope that this goes away soon so I can get some relief.

So if you are reading this, some good thoughts for healing right now and this inflammation getting better soon would be sincerely appreciated!

No comments: